Ranting and Raving about everything from Entertainment to Gadgetry. Official blog of Vinny "Gamings Nirvana" Parisi

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Editorial: What I want from "Sonic Generations"

So by now everyone knows about the new Sonic game coming out sometime this year for XB360 & PS3.  We also know that it will somehow incorporate elements of both Old-School and New-School Sonic games, as per the trailer showcasing two generations of the "Blue Blur" running alongside each other. 

Yet, since absolutely no details have been announced regarding gameplay, I would like to take this opportunity to express what I think the new game should play like.  In my perfect world, "Generations" will be a beautiful mash-up of Genesis-era speed-based 2-D platforming seamlessly woven into a 3-D adventure.  How would that work?  Well, there are two options, the Paper-Mario approach, where the player could choose to switch between 2-D and 3-D on the fly, which I DON'T want to happen, and there is the structured linear level designed approach, which I think would be both much more manageable and enjoyable.

Keep the old-school Logo and "SEGA" shout. You know the one I mean.
Imagine taking a tour through Sonic's storied 20-year history.  For the sake of stability, let's say the story revolved around Sonic having a near-death experience and his life is flashing before his eyes.  As the player, we would LIVE these experiences through different levels.  Since I've never had a near-death experience, I'm not precisely sure how these things work, but let's just assume the order of events doesn't necessarily have to happen chronologically.  That way, the 2-D and 3-D stages could blend together instead of simply starting at the beginning (2-D) and then transitioning to 3-D for the back half of the game.

Throughout the game we could relive classic stages, such as Green Hill Zone and Carnival Night Zone, but also be introduced to new stages (possibly "lost levels" or stages that have been cut or were unfinished from previous titles.)  For each stage, Sonic should "look" like the corresponding era from which the stage takes place. I.e. Genesis, Saturn, CD, Dreamcast, etc. While the 2-D stages should stay true to their retro-roots, they should also receive a graphical update a la Sonic 4: Episode 1.  What should NOT be updated, however, is the music for each stage. If I'm playing Green Hill Zone, I want that exact Genesis 32-bit music pumping out of my speakers.  For the new levels, they should of course create new music, but keep the sounds relative to the era.  If it's from the early 90's, it should feel like an authentic early 90's game tune.
Eyes on the Prize SEGA. This game could be "The One."
 Another important feature, one which I refuse to compromise on, is that this should be Sonic's story and his story ALONE.  That means two things: 1) Keep this a single player experience.  Sonic has always been best when experienced alone, you can't mix speed and instinctive reflexive choices with co-op, it will never work.  People don't think alike and react to situations differently.  And 2) Under NO circumstances should we see any of Sonic's pals as playable characters.  To be honest, I don't even want them in the game period.  But if Tails, Knuckles and (God forbid) Amy must make an appearance, keep it brief and keep their actions out of my control (I mean that literally, SEGA, and not in the figurative sense where you give me crappy controls...)

The third point I want to address is the inclusion of Bonus Stages.  Preferably a mix of the old-school original Sonic Stages, plus those "Collect the Blue Orbs" 3-D stages from the Sonic 3 days, and a new element to match the full powered next-generation console hardware.  The purpose of these Stages should of course be to collect Chaos Emeralds, and if the player has gathered them all by the time the game is over, add a "True Ending" to the story with a Super Sonic level + Boss Fight. (Read: Level as in let me play a freaking 3-D level as Super Sonic BEFORE having to fight a boss.  That was cool for SA and SA2, but it's not enough anymore.)  Also, once the Chaos Emeralds have been collected Stages should have the option to be replayed as Super Sonic, as tradition mandates, by collecting 50 rings and double jumping.  This INCLUDES the 3-D stages, which has never been done before.  It should happen for his 20th anniversary, it's a special occasion SEGA, so whip out the confetti cannons and make this game one for the history books by pulling out all the stops.   
"Wanna grab a Chili CheeseDog?"                         "You bet! Loser buys."

 A final point I want to address is creating an online community/atmosphere.  I know I said "No Co-op" and I stand by that, but there are a few ways to build a community online and give the game timeless replayability.  1) Online Leaderboards. No explanation required, time the stages' completion records. 2) Ghost/Shadow mode. Let players take the top leaderboard records and watch any uploaded stage completion videos.  Additionally, allow us to play a stage while a "Ghost" (the chosen leaderboard time's character) runs the stage alongside us, so gamers can physically see how the top players scored that time as well as imitate the strategies employed by practicing simultaneously.  3) Bring back the Chao Garden.  Yeah I said it, and why not?  You know those animals Dr. Robotnik/Eggman (how I LOATHE that nickname) turns into power sources for his robots?  Collect them and give them to the Chao to boost their power so players can competitively compete in online races, karate fights (improve this please!) and make up a few new challenges/mini-games as well. I said no co-op, but I think multiplayer is still important, as long as it stays far, far away from the core single-player experience.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.  I may update this as time goes on, turning it into an Ultimate Wishlist of sorts. For now I think all of these things are plausible if SEGA puts all their eggs into this one basket and gambles on creating the greatest Sonic experience possible.  If it needs an extra year of development, so be it, Sonic is one of the best video game characters ever created.  Bottom Line: He's worth it.     

No comments:

Post a Comment