Ranting and Raving about everything from Entertainment to Gadgetry. Official blog of Vinny "Gamings Nirvana" Parisi

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Random Ramblings: It's Finale Time! So Goodbye, Good Luck(!) and Good Riddance

Ahh the Spring Finale.  A both wonderful yet heartbreaking couple of weeks for any devoted series fan.  On one hand, audiences are treated to the final resolve of an entire seasons worth of drama and mystery.  On the other, for shows that are being renewed, it is a withdrawal-inducing "Farewell, until we meet again."  Within these next two weeks, we will see finales for a show that's only just begun, a show that's survived thanks to it's dedicated fans, and a show that's lingered for far too long.  Specifically, I'm talking about Traffic Light, Chuck, and Smallville (in that order.)

Farewell, Traffic Light, you will be missed
Traffic Light is (was, as Fox confirmed it's cancellation) a fantastic comedy starring "That guy who was pretty funny in Scott Pilgrim"  (Nelson Franklin.)  While the series managed to finish strong with some absolutely hysterical final episodes, the poor ratings were just too much to bear and Fox had already planned on canning the show halfway through its airing.  This is one I'm going to miss just because of the great cast, consistently witty dialogue, and Seinfeld-esque situational humor that made for some very entertaining television.  Goodbye, Traffic Light, I hardly knew ye.


Now on to what has most definitely become my favorite series over the past few years, Chuck.  I apologize to Bones, while I love you equally as much, you're the child I never have to worry about, your renewal is always a shoe-in.  Chuck is the child that's always in my thoughts because of the constant need to worry about its livelihood.  While the series should never have made it past the second season, according to ratings, the fans have pulled together for the past two years and made enough noise to force NBC to reconsider.  Now, as Chuck finishes its fourth season with a Finale on Monday, the fans are anxiously awaiting to hear NBC's announcement pertaining to the Lovable Intersect's fate.  Coincidentally, NBC will make said announcement on Monday, meaning we will have to wait until the day the episode airs to find out whether we're watching the Season or the Series Finale.  Chuck, I've loved you since the pilot, and you haven't disappointed me since.  I, along with what seems to be the entire world (Seriously, how is this show always in danger?) wish you Good Luck.  Hopefully, we will see you back next season, with your stunning new bride!

C'mon, Team Bartowski! We need a Season Five.  Here's to hoping.
Lastly, and those who know me knew I'd have something to say about this one, it is finally time for Smallville to end.  No extensions, no exceptions.  The 2-Hour finale airs tomorrow, Friday the 13th, at 8:00 PM EST.  In case you were wondering: Yeah, Tom Welling is finally putting on the suit, he's finally going to fly, and we're finally going to hear that classic music as we hear him announce to the world he is Superman.  I'm honestly not sure how to describe my relationship with Smallville. 

The most apt way to describe it would be to call the show a cruel mistress in a toxic relationship.  For a while everything was going great, it felt like we were happy and in love.  We could take on the world and nobody could take away our sunshine.  Then one day, tragedy struck.  What should have been a fatal accident, Smallville's planned ending after 7 seasons, ended in what at first felt like a miracle.  The show lived again and would continue for a few more years.  But I'll be honest, Smallville, after the accident you were never the same.  You just didn't feel right, it's like you crept back into my life after I'd already made peace with your death.  The continuity had to take a beating, the plots were hollow and joyless, and characters that shouldn't exist had to be written in for the sake of keeping things fresh.  To make matters worse, after awhile you just stopped caring, letting cameo appearances from other DC heroes take the spotlight while your overall story arc faded into obscurity. 

In short, this goodbye was a long time coming, and I'm finally ready to let our relationship end.  You hurt me more times than I'll ever admit, and it stings even more to know that even after extending your life far past what was intended, you're still only going to give me five minutes of "Up, up, and away" while you begin your fight for "Truth, Justice, and the American way."  I know this is what you planned all along, and after seven seasons that would have felt right.  But Smallville, you should have become Metropolis a long time ago, and Superman should have been a part of the last three seasons.  Plans change, but your crappy idea for a finale has stayed the same.  So, Smallville, to you I say Good Riddance.  I won't regret our time together, because you've become too big a part of my life, but I will regret not saying this sooner.  It's over.  It's finally over.     

No comments:

Post a Comment